Thurgood Marshall Federal Courthouse
Restoration and Upgrades
New York, NY
611,000 sf • with Beyer Blinder Belle
Located in downtown Manhattan’s Foley Square, the classically-inspired Thurgood Marshall Federal Courthouse was designed by Cass Gilbert. At the time of its completion in 1936, the 33-story granite tower was the tallest public building in America. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a New York City Landmark, the Courthouse was renamed in 2003 in honor of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall. Featuring a 6-story base with a lower-level lobby floor and 26-story tower, it remains the preeminent symbol of the federal government’s presence in New York City.
In conjunction with Beyer Blinder Belle, Davis Brody Bond restored the building to its original grandeur, including the granite façades and striking gold pyramidal roof, and upgraded its infrastructure without compromising its historic and aesthetic integrity. Upgrades to the infrastructure included replacement of all MEP, fire protection, security and lighting systems. Entrances and stairways were also modified, bringing the building up to code.
Because of the building’s high level of architectural and historical significance, all facility upgrades, interior renovations and exterior renovation efforts were designed in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards of Rehabilitation. The project received LEED Silver certification.